This 60 minute class teaches top rope belay technique, proper use of equipment, correct tie-in procedure for both climber and belayer, and basic communication between climber and belayer in a gym environment. Belaying is the “rope management” part of climbing. If you are new to climbing, or if it has been some time since you climbed and all you can remember is you tied some knots and used a “clippy thing,” this class is for you. It’s time to begin your journey into the vertical world of rock.
- Class times: Daily Monday-Saturday at noon, 2:00, 4:00 & 6:00 and Sunday at noon & 2:00
- Price: $8.00 for class (members can take the class at no cost; non-member guests will need to purchase day pass and rent equipment, if needed, as well)
-A willingness to learn.
-You must be at least 14 years of age to take this class.
- Class size: Limited to 6. Reservations can be made for a scheduled belay class on the day of the class only. If you make a reservation, you must show up at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time, otherwise your reservation will be cancelled. If you are dropping in and wish to take a belay class it will be on a space available basis.
Gym Climbing 101–An Introduction to Climbing Indoors
The first half of this two-hour class begins with an orientation to the world of indoor climbing at Granite Arch and a full belay class (see above). During the second hour students will be introduced to basic climbing movement and technique, and understanding routes and ratings in the gym.
- Class times: Once a month on a Saturday morning. Call for dates and time to schedule.
- Price: Non- members $48.00 (includes day pass and equipment rental); Members $20.00 (does not include equipment rental)
- Reservation and 50% deposit required.
- Prerequisites: Same as On Belay
- Class size: minimum of two students; maximum of 6 students
Basic Lead Climbing (in a gym environment)–Two Part Class
This two-part class will prepare you to enter a new dimension of climbing in the gym, and help lay the foundation for you to eventually experience lead climbing outdoors, on real rock! If you can on-sight 5.9’s in the gym, are fairly confident on 5.10’s, and are ready for the next challenge, then lead climbing is for you! In this class you’ll learn the proper skills needed to lead climb and lead belay and how to avoid developing bad and risky habits. Welcome to the Sharp-End!
Session 1 (3 hours)
This first session is designed to introduce you to the fundamentals of lead climbing and lead belaying in a gym and when mastered will prepare you to take the lead test at Granite Arch. Skills covered include body positioning and technique for clipping, proper lead belay techniques, climber/belayer communication, rope management, and risk management.
- Class times: Once a month on a Saturday morning. Call for time and dates Reservation required.
- Session Price (GA provides lead ropes for class, but does not provide any other gear): Non- member $75.00; Member $50.00
- 50% deposit required at time of reservation.
-Top rope belay certified
-Ability to on-site 5.9
-You must be at least 16 years of age to take this class.
- Class size: minimum of two (ideally 3, 5 or 6) students; maximum of 9 students
Session 2 (3 hours)
This second session of the lead climbing series allows the student the opportunity work towards polishing and perfecting their lead belay technique and clipping skills learned in session one. You will also learn and practice how to properly take lead falls (while still on back-up belay). Almost the entire class is dedicated to climb time. Your instructor will refresh your knowledge of all the skills covered in session 1 and reinforce your awareness of risk management responsibility while critiquing your lead skills.
- Class times: Once a month on the Sunday morning following Session 1. Verified with instructor upon completion of session 1.
- Session Price: (GA provides lead ropes for class, but does not provide any other gear) Non- member $75.00; Member $50.00
- 50% deposit required at the completion of Session 1.
-Same as session 1
-Completion of session 1
- Class size: same as session 1
A word about taking your lead test. Granite Arch recommends that you continue to practice your new skill set while mock leading (i.e. using a top rope back-up belay while lead climbing & lead belaying) at least one week after completing session 2 before attempting to take your lead certification test. Please feel free to discuss your readiness to take the test with your instructor.